Lace-Blocked Tee

This is a 'quick' project that has taken me about a month or so because my guitar kept distracting me and begging me to play it ;). It's based on my TNT French Woven Tee pattern (self-drafted), but adapted to have a yoke-kimono cap sleeve, a separate bodice section, and the dart shifted higher up the side seam. I had the fabric in my stash from previous college projects and thought I'd use it up to make a nice summer top.
This was also an opportunity to try to improve my photography/modelling skills and as it is the middle of summer (hottest day of the year so far! Woo!) I could take advantage of the late golden hour.
Lace-blocked tee, front
The idea is that it looks like a bodice and tunic, sort of. A modern version, if you will, that doesn't look like a costume. :)
To begin with the sleeves were huge and I didn't like it. So I took them in at the shoulder seam and considerably reduced the length (about an inch or so). Regrettably I didn't think to take photos as I was too eager to change it and see if I could make the top likeable. Which I did, and I'm happy with it now. There is, however, one slight issue: the back.
Lace-blocked tee, back
You can't see it here, because I put the buttons on the wrong side (that's not the issue).
Lace-blocked tee, back 2
Because of the way I finished the opening, you can see the yellow placket. Ugh. (Side note, the bottom of the placket DOES NOT look like that in real life. This must be a very bad angle).
Lace-blocked tee, details 1
Now for details. The top and bottom of the 'bodice' part are edged with running stitches. You may remember this feature from my FMP at Bishop. This top's style continues from that collection. The neckline was finished by sewing stay tape along the WS, turning the s.a. under, and double-stitching. This allows for the nicest finish from the outside, I feel. The sleeves are hemmed similarly, but sans stay tape. Lace doesn't fray, so neatening the seams is optional.
I chose to make the sleeves kimono sleeves. I thought this would be best. It uses less fabric and gives a cleaner look to the top.
(PS. The safety pin is a political thing as a result of Brexit. It's to show that I won't be racially abusive to you, so you can talk to me. :) )
Lace-blocked tee, details 2
The top button is a cool decorative one from my button jar. The rest are clear ones. I like using clear buttons on light-coloured fabrics. I think it looks more expensive. (Gah! In all these photos the edges of the top don't line up! They did when I was sewing. I'm going to have to ask someone in real life how it looks!)
All in all, I'm quite pleased with this new top. It's comfortable to wear (as it should be, having been drafted from my TNT block) and it looks good.
-- Sabrina

Popular Posts