Tuesday, 29 September 2015

I've moved to York

I think it's time for a catch-up, don't you? As you can guess from the title, a lot has happened since the last post.
  1. I've moved to York (amazing place - I love it!)
  2. I've got a job at Cycle Heaven (best place ever to work!)
  3. I've started Year 2 in Fashion Design and Production at York College (major stress, but I'm getting into it now)
We'll, that's not a big list, but they're pretty big changes to my life. I'm loving it!

Moving to York

This place is like the Copenhagen of England. I've never seen so many bikes in one place in real life!
I live in a brilliant little flat with my landlord (who is lovely and put up my desk for me because it's heavy). I have my own room and private bathroom. I'm learning to cook (I can now do pizza, home-made bases and sauce). Tesco is across the road. College is literally (really "literally") two minutes bike ride away, so with stairs and everything, it's 10-15 minutes from my door to the classroom.
York Solar System Cycle Route
Part of the York Solar System Cycle Route
I live on the outskirts of York, not in the city centre, so I am not far from the country bike rides. Sometimes I just need to go for a bike ride in the quiet, and I can do that now. I've done the Solar System twice and taken lots of pictures (I'm also doing a Project 365 with my camera and my phone). Tip: tinted sunglasses make great filters for your camera. :)

Working at Cycle Heaven

One or two days after I moved in, I got a call from Cycle Heaven offering me the job for which I had previously applied and been interviewed. I don't think my enthusiasm came across on the phone, but there was some serious fist-pumping going on when I hung up! I did three week's full-time including a week's trial, and got the job. Now I work weekends and I love it! I actually look forward to going into work. I look forward to it from about Monday. Everyone there is so nice; it's like having another family.

Year 2 at York College

Because I have done a foundation degree at Bishop Burton College, I got straight onto Year 2 of the BA(Hons) Fashion Design and Production Degree at York College. After the very long Summer holiday we design students seem to get, it's like being thrown in the deep end when you get back to college. We get three modules at once! At Bishop we got one at a time in the second year. I suppose this might be more reflective of industry practice. I don't know. I think the only thing I can do is get organised and focus. I always say that you learn a lot at university that isn't on the syllabus.
So there are some big changes in my life, and they come with stress and a gigantic learning curve. What can I say? "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this." (Meg, Herucles).