How to Upcycle Jeans into Hippie Flares

I may have mentioned before that in September, my class and I are going to have a stall at the Cornucopia Festival in Burton Constable, Yorkshire. Having looked into the festival, I think it looks as though people like hippie style, and as we'll be selling upcycled clothes, I thought I'd make hippie style upcycled clothes.

Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is flared jeans, so that is what I made yesterday. I went to Dove House Hospice charity shop and bought: a pair of jeans, an XXXL men's shirt, a denim skirt, a colourful skirt ("as new"), and a halter top with some folk-style embellishments. Total: £12.55 including the carrier (they charge 5p for a carrier bag).

To get extra milage out of this project, I thought I'd do some tutorials on upcycling, so I took photos as I went along.
 

How to Upcycle Jeans into Flares

You will need a pair of jeans, some fabric (I used a skirt), thread, scissors, pins and a sewing machine.
 

Step 1

Decide how long you want your godets. This was decided for me by the length of the skirt up to the yoke, which I didn't want in the godet. Mark this length minus 2-3cm on the side seam on your jeans, using a pin.
We use 2-3cm because the godet has a 1cm or so seam allowance in it already, or you wouldn't be able to sew it to your jeans.
Jeans to Flares step 1
 

Step 2

Cut out your godet, including 1cm seam allowances.
DSC04594
 

Step 3

Unfold your godet and neaten it out.
DSC04595
 

Step 4

Using the first godet as a pattern, cut another one for the other leg.
DSC04596

 

Trim off any weird edges.
DSC04597
 

 Step 5

Cut up the side seam on your jeans to the pin you used to mark earlier.
DSC04600
 

Step 6

Pin the godet in and sew. You will have to fiddle about at the top of the godet; just aim for a neat finish. Zig-zag or overlock/serge the raw edges. Turn them towards the godet and topstitch them to the godet.
DSC04603
DSC04605
 

Step 7

Turn the leg right-side out. Repeat all the steps for the other leg.
DSC04604

 

 
 
DSC04606
The front
 
DSC04607
The back with pocket flaps I took off the skirt.
 
And that is the first thing I have made for our stall at Cornucopia. I hope to see you there!
 
Sabrina

P.S. The blogroll for the Secret Garden Tea Dress will start on 1st August 2014, so you have until then to apply to join the Student Designer Team and be on the blogroll!

Popular Posts